Saturday, June 6, 2009

Greece is cool

Here's a series of 1,000-words's to prove it:

Sunset at the Athens port













View at Delphi













Change of the guard - members of the 27th Goofball Brigade













Insightful sign in Athens













A horde of riot police at Parliament - waiting for demonstrations regarding EU Parliament elections













The glory that was Greece













The glory that is Greece













Pigeons, the main feature at the Athens zoo

Just kidding. I'm JUST kidding

The real glory that is Greece: Santorini













Santorini - the town of Oia (inaccurately pronounced "oh yeah!")













Santorini - Firostefani













Volcano by Santorini













Church in Oia













Thessaloniki - center of "the real"/"that other" Macedonia - with its rendition of Alexander the Great of Macedon.













White Tower- symbol of Thessaloniki - guarded by a statue of King Philip...of Macedon













I arrived in Thessaloniki at 1 am, and couldn't get my phone to call the owner of the hostel, who had told me, "You won't be able to find us on your own." Luckily, she found me, and as soon as she checked me in, she went on three days' vacation. The other guests left in the morning. So I had the hostel all to myself - no guests, no owner.

That's all for now. Back in Skopje now, interviewing more wackos (and some sane people, too!). I'll try to post again in a few days.

1 comment:

  1. Hi J

    OK - your stories are fun, but the thuggish Greek-nationalist video is the best. Notice the U.S. professor putting away the camera very quickly when the thugs came his way.

    And the magic of the Aegean - my first solo adventure as a freshman out there. Still a warm place in my hear for waking up on the beach to the sound of fishermen pounding the calamari against the rocks... And then there is the ouzo

    Keep it coming

    Love, Uncle Nate

    ReplyDelete